|Job title||Community Counselor|
|Reports to||Program Manager|
|Employment Category||Full time – Contract
August 1st – January 5th with possibility of extension
Rate of Pay $17/hour
A Community Counselor provides counseling support and services for pregnant and parenting youth. The incumbent is responsible for interviewing and evaluating the clients, identifying goals, designing strategies and helping to implement and maintain those strategies. The incumbent empowers clients to set goals, refers clients to other services in the community and advocates on their behalf when necessary.
Duties and responsibilities
- Conduct client intake, assess client needs and provide ongoing support and case management through Vita Centre programs & services.
- Prepare individualized plans for clients, in accordance with established standards, consistent with assessment and in conjunction with clients, to include goals, objectives, necessary support or referral service. Evaluate client progress and modify individualized plan or recommend changes as circumstances require.
- Conduct individual counseling sessions with clients in accordance with their plan, provide clients with feedback support or encouragement or to address behaviors and attitudes, or family, social or personal problems
- Provide client-centered counseling focused on listening, responding empathetically and engaging in problem solving
- Perform case management and services as client advocate, and liaise with social services, education, employment or other community organization services. Maintain rapport with local community resources to ensure effective referral options and contacts.
- Connect clients with community agencies and volunteers that will support them in achieving goals (i.e. education, health, housing, employment).
- Assist in the facilitation of education programs, workshops, group activities on scheduled topics related to life skills and so forth.
- Manage the distribution of care supplies to clients.
- Plan community recreational and cultural activities for clients (past & present).
- Plan new strategies to reach our target audience.
- Work closely with the Vita Centre team to develop community services based on the needs of clients.
- Participate in liaison work with various schools, community agencies and the public to educate them on the services Vita Centre provides.
- Compile monthly statistics on clients and generate monthly reports.
- Conduct annual client satisfaction survey.
- Maintain up-to-date files on clients.
- Support student placements with learning opportunities.
- Network in the community and represent Vita Center at meetings and community events.
- Attend job specific training sessions offered within and outside of organization to enhance job skills and knowledge.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Maintain current knowledge of and integrate best practice and current research evidence to support professional practice decisions and actions.
- Degree in Social work or related field
- At least one year’s experience in human/social services.
- Client-centered, strength-based approach and ability to respect confidentiality.
- Sensitivity to issues around teen pregnancy.
- Knowledge of community resources.
- Excellent listening, communication and presentation skills.
- Well organized, able to work independently.
- Adaptable, flexible and resourceful.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Excel, Outlook.
- Valid driver’s license, access to a reliable vehicle and relevant insurance.
- Criminal Record Check (within the past six months) is required.
- Basic first aid/CPR certificate is an asset.
- The job requires the incumbent to work primarily in the office.
- The job will require some travel to client residences, community events and meetings.
- The incumbent will have to spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. The incumbent may also have to do some light lifting of supplies and materials from time to time.
To apply email cover letter and resume to Susan Robins email@example.com
Thank you to all applicant’s, only those selected will be contacted.